SDT are introducing industry placements which will enable young people to gain the skills that they need to move into employment. You will be matched with a placement in the occupational area you want to work in.
A quality industry placement will arm you with the technical skills you will need to give yourself the best possible chance for entering skilled employment.
Benefits of a placement include an opportunity for the student to:
- Develop their employability “soft skills” such as communicating, adapting to change, teamwork and problem solving.
- Experience personal growth: to develop self-reliance, step outside their comfort zone, build confidence and learn about themselves to identify their strengths and preferences for future career options.
- Undertake a placement which will last a minimum of 45 days
- Undertake a placement which will improve their ability to gain a job
- Have further opportunities like paid employment and apprenticeships
- Develop their knowledge and skills relevant to their course and future career
- Have greater understanding of what it is like to work in their chosen industry
- Receive coaching and mentoring from a line manager
- Occupationally specific and focused develop practical and technical skills required for the profession or trade that the student is studying for